Welcome to Screamin' Oaks Farm

Welcome to Screamin' Oaks Farm
Recycling of our Feed Sacks

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Our Hounds

I have a couple of bloodhounds.  My Rootin' Tootin" Woody Dawg is a Red Bloodhound and Shootem Up Jessie Girl is Black and Tan.  Jessie is due with her first litter of puppies on Christmas Day.  Bloodhounds are great dogs but I would say they are also high maintenance.  They cannot be left to run because bloodhounds are not hunting dogs, but they are tracking dogs.  Tracking dogs generally follow a trail forward so its hard for them to find their way back home.  Both dogs got out of our fenced yard this summer and Woody was gone for 35 days.  It was a pretty stressful summer, but I got him back.  I truly couldn't believe it!  I credit Facebook to helping me find him.  I posted something everyday and my grandson and I drove around looking for them and we posted signs all over our county.  One of my facebook followers heard him barking and called me.  It was unbelievable!   Woody and Jessie have escaped (and generally they know when a visitor doesn't get the gate latched) a couple times since last August and our Rat Terrier seems to track them and bring them home.  She'll come on home and shortly thereafter, Woody and Jessie will show up with their noses to the ground tracking her.   I'll write more on the adventures of Woody and Jessie later.

No comments:

Post a Comment